Thursday, June 1, 2017

Time For The Blues ~~ June 3, 2017

John Poses with the New Bluesmobile...
Henry and I hope you will take the time to join us this Saturday night, June 3rd, at 11:00 for the next exciting episode of Time For The Blues! Henry has put this show together and he promises lots of surprises. I would be surprised if we actually start on time, but that’s a discussion for another show…
You know my partner, Henry Cook, just loves to keep a few surprises up his sleeve, along with his lunch – I don’t know why he doesn’t trust the communal refrigerator, so I haven’t seen all of the information just yet. I do know some of the big things we’ve got planned like a visit to Janiva Magness’ latest album, Blue Again.
We’ve always enjoyed playing her music and this is, I believe, her second release on Blue Elan Records, and her last one took her in a slightly different, more introspective direction. This one marks her return to flat out blues and rhythm and blues.
You can check out my review of it here.  After you are through checking out my thoughts on the album, why not take a few minutes – or hours – to look over some of the other reviews I’ve posted there. You just might find a new favorite artist.

Speaking of new favorite artists, we’ve got a young man whose star is definitely on the rise, Selwyn Birchwood. The name “Selwyn” actually translates to “A friend in the house,” and if you ever see Birchwood play live, you know you’ve got a friend rocking the house. 
His sophomore Alligator release, Pick Your Poison, rocks the blues beautifully and we think you will be greatly impressed by his talent. He’s won the International Blues Challenge in Memphis and gone on to headline major festivals and paly on the Blues Cruise in front of a very appreciative audience.
Want to read more about him? Here’s my review of Pick Your Poison 
If you like what you see, please come back every day. I post a new review every morning, and if you need a reminder, just go to Facebook and like our page, Time For The Blues or follow us on Twitter as I send out an update every morning. You can find us at @wcvetftblues.
Okay, the commercial is over, time to get back to the blues. Henry has put together another Retro Rewind segment where we take a look back at some of the artists we’ve played before. We want to see if you have any interest in hearing more from these artists.
This week, he tells me we are going to sample a song by Etta James that connects to one done by Janiva Magness. I can’t wait to see what that’s all about. He’s also lined up two of the greatest legends to ever play music, Ray Charles and B.B. King.
Any of those artists can set the night on fire, so I can’t wait to hear what he’s got up that sleeve of his, besides a turkey sandwich that is…
We’ve also got a look back at a couple of artists we recently featured and wanted to hear again. Come with us to check out the latest from Coco Montoya as well as Elvin Bishop’s Big Fun Trio.
So do what you have to do to join us at 11. Sleep late, take a nap, grab that caffeine, just be sure to join us. We’re going to have a great time and we sure would love for you to come along for the ride. You know where we’re going to be, point your browser to http://ideastations.org/radio or join us on one of the Idea Stations: 89.1 WCVN, Northern Neck; 90.1 WMVE, Chase City; and the flagship, 88.9 WCVE-FM, Richmond, where it’s always Time For The Blues!
It’s almost time for the River City Blues Society’s annual Blues Challenge. Greg Willard, the man behind all the action, has told me that this is going to be a hot field of musicians that should make the judges go crazy trying to pick winners.
Thank goodness I’m the emcee this year and not a judge! That’s right, I’ll be up on stage introducing the acts, encouraging you to pick up CDs and t-shirts, and reminding you that there is strength in numbers and you should join the River City Blues Society. I might even tell a joke or two, and I promise there will be no mention of my favorite bad movies.
Henry might even show up himself, but I know he’s on call that weekend in case something goes wrong at the station. (Henry is actually on call EVERY weekend, and all night, if something goes wrong at the station. See what comes from being good at your job?)
Mark your calendars for June 11 and join us at the Capital Ale House Downtown. You can’t miss it, it’s the place that is going to be rocking hard from 1-6, and if you mention my name, they’ll probably stick you in the back somewhere. Just kidding, they might make you watch from the sidewalk…
Here’s where you can get all the information: http://www.rivercityblues.org/. We’ll see you then, and you can cheer on your favorite bands and may the best group win!
 
Maybe I can drive the Bluesmobile there if I get a license by then...



                                                 

         


                                                                                                                                  



No comments:

Post a Comment