Thursday, March 30, 2017

Time For The Blues ~~ April 1, 2017

Henry and I hope you will join us this Saturday Night, April 1st – April Fool’s Day – at 11 as we get together for our weekly escape into the world of the blues. And bad jokes, can’t forget the bad jokes.

This week, we’ve got a lot of fun for you with one high-powered woman who is grabbing the blues world by its collective lapels and shaking it for all she’s worth. Plus we’ve got a hard working blue collar harp player that may be the best thing to come out of New Jersey since that other guy.

You know the one I’m talking about. Not Chris Christie either…

Plus we’ve got some soul and more wonderful women – just for your listening pleasure.

Intrigued, well read on and see if I can tempt you with just a little bit more.

Our first powerful lady is none other than Sharon Lewis, who is joined by Texas Fire for a high energy set off of their new Delmark release, Grown Ass Woman. I guess we’ll find out if the FCC will be listening after I announce THAT title…We first heard Lewis a couple of years ago when she released The Real Deal, also on Delmark. You could tell that she was – and is – the real deal, and we are delighted to be able to drop her latest on you.
If you want to get a sample of what I thought of her when I first got it from Delmark, be sure to check out my review here.
Our next big set of the evening is the Bob Lanza Band out of the Garden State itself, New Jersey. I’ve been following Lanza’s career for a few years now, and he’s doing some great work for Connor Ray Music out of Texas. We’ve got a few selections from his latest CD, Time To Let Go, and you can read more about it here.
Long time listeners and readers know that I like some sweet soul music. It’s one of the genres of music that I love the best, and a soulful interpretation of any song can often elevate it from being good to being a classic. Sometimes I can sneak some soul music past Henry and I think I’ve done so for this show.

You’re going to hear some great performers including Jack Mack & The Heart Attack Horns from their recent release, Back To The Shack. There’s also Biscuit Miller from his recent CD, Wishbone, and one last song from the tandem of Billy Price and Otis Clay from their duo album, This Time For Real.

Okay that last one came out a couple of years ago, but I just got a copy recently so I’m putting it my new soul section. Price has just released a new album, and you’ll be hearing selections from it very soon.

Last, but never least, I have a couple from two amazing women with different styles and who both send shivers up my spine. Thornetta Davis released a killer album earlier this year, Honest Woman, and we’ve got a song for you. And from the nearby DC-Baltimore corridor, Patty Reese is going to share a song from her Let In The Sun album.

If you need more for your blues fix, may I suggest tuning in to WCVE-TV’s Virginia Currents show this weekend for a look at the life of Cole and Logan Layman. This brother and sister duo is collectively known as In Layman Terms, and they have been tearing up the blues world for several years, even releasing their first album, Tangled not long ago.

After the producers heard them when they were guests on Time For The Blues, they knew they had to book the Laymans and tell their family’s story in more depth. It’s a great story and I’m sure you’ll enjoy it.

Just make sure you’re in front of, or beside, or just near your radio or computer on Saturday Night at 11 Eastern time, because we are going to have a lot of fun and it just won’t be the same if you’re not there to enjoy it with us.

You know where we’ll be, on the internet at http://ideastations.org/radio and on the radio at 89.1 WCNV, Northern Neck; 90.1 WMVE, Chase City; and good old 88.9 WCVE-FM, Richmond, where it’s always Time For The Blues!









No comments:

Post a Comment