Saturday, September 1, 2012

Juke Joint FAQs

Q: Hey Professor! How do I send you a copy of my CD to review?
A: Easy as pie. If you’ve got a CD you would like to have reviewed, just send a copy to:

WCVE Public Radio
23 Sesame Street
Richmond, VA 23235
Attn: John Porter – Time For The Blues

Q: Will I get my copy back?
A: Probably not. Definitely not without a self-addressed stamped envelope. Sorry, but with reviewing time and other works, there just isn’t enough time in the day or moolah in the treasury to send everything back.

Q: Will my CD get played on Time For The Blues?
A: Maybe. Remember we’ve only got an hour show one day a week and a whole mess of blues (tip of the hat to you, Doc Pomus) to cover. We usually do one segment each week dedicated to new works. If we like it and play it though, we will let you know as long as we have your contact information.

Q: What else should I include with my CD?
A: Any kind of press plus your contact info and where folks can buy your CD. The more information we have, the more we can send out.

Q: What if you don’t like the CD?
A: Always a risk artists take. If I don’t like it, I’ll be honest about my interpretation. My opinion is just an opinion and people are free to agree or disagree on things. My radio partner, Henry Cook, and I don’t agree on things frequently, but we always respect each other’s opinion. That’s life and it adds a little spice.

Q: What about electronic submissions?
A: I get backed up a lot with electronic stuff. It’s a risk that something could get lost. I prefer actual CDs as they are easier for me to review.

Q: What about interviews?
A: Anything can happen, but I’ll contact you if we want to do one.

Q: Do you work with publicists?
A: There are a few publicists that send material. They are professional and usually have great clients. We always look forward to seeing what new people they are sending our way.

Q: Would you send our material to them?
A: They listen to the show and read the blog. If they want to talk with you, they will let us know. We make it a point not to send them clients as we don’t know their rates or what other services they might provide.

Q: Are you really a Professor?
A: Yes, among other things.

Q: Will you review things other than CDs?
A: Anything music related, specifically blues, rhythm and blues, soul, Americana, and rockabilly, will be considered. CDs, DVDs, and books are the usual suspects, but anything could happen.

Q: Can we buy stuff here?
A: Not at this time, but I will link to Amazon and other websites where you can purchase material. Full disclosure, I could see some money back from Amazon thanks to their program, but that does not influence opinions.

Q: Can I contact you directly?
A: There’s always email at timefortheblues@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment